Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
MM0058.jpg
In 1948, Wally Byam was ready to surge forward with Airstream once again as Airstream Trailers Incorporated, which he opened up in a small factory near the Metropolitan Airport in Van Nuys, a suburb of Los Angeles. His first product was Airstream Liner, which was essentially the same trailer as the Curtis Wright Clipper and the Silver Streak Clipper. While other trailer manufacturers were looking at building big, bigger and biggest trailers, Byam saw sales potential for a smaller trailer that was suited for weekend camping rather than extended stay. The result was the Wee Wind. The Wee Wind used a lengthwise spine of tubular steel (seen protruding from beneath the rub rail on the aft end) to support the floor members and ribs.  After problems developed with torsional flexing, later units adopted a more conventional ladder-type frame.  Airstream marketed a series of "Wind" models during the late Forties and into the Fifties; including the Westwind, Southwind, Whirlwind and Tradewind. At sixteen feet, the Wee Wind was the smallest and thanks to its tubular frame, it was also the lightest (1200 pounds) Airstream ever made. The 1948 Airstream Wee Wind is towed by 1955 GMC Pickup with 350 cu in engine 700 Ford D Transmission. The pair is owned by Ken and Petey Faber. Photographed at Camp Dearborn, Michigan.