Hollywood’s El Capitan Theater, now known as the Paramount, remains among the grandest Spanish Revival/Churrigueresque movie palaces extant. Constructed in 1926, the building was designed by the prolific Los Angeles firm of Morgan, Walls, and Clements, and the theater interior by G. Albert Landsburgh. The facade’s recessed window spandrels and projecting columns produce an effect of soaring verticality; the window heads are richly embellished by Churrigueresque ornament and surmounted by a cornice of diapered brick. Just visible on the roof is the El Capitan’s electric sign, a favorite advertising device of the Twenties. Movie palace marquees were frequently ringed with “chasers”, borders of closely-spaced electric bulbs whose activation in series produced the illusion of motion. More sophisticated rooftop signs used hundred or even thousands of bulbs to produce colored moving images such as flashpots or fireworks. In both cases, the illusion of motion was mechanically produced by a motorized disc or drum that alternately opened and closed hundred of electric contacts, much as the rotating pins in a music box produce a tune.