Share
twitterlinkedinfacebook
Image 1 of 1
sp074.jpg
A three-dimensional resume of Tucson architect Josias Joesler, this romantic structure dating from 1930 served as the sales office for the Catalina Foothills Estates subdivision, among the earliest collaborations between the architect and the husband-and-wife development team of John and Helen Murphey.  The Swiss-born Joesler studied architecture in Europe, and then traveled through Italy, North Africa, and Spain between 1916 and 1923.  In 1924, he left Europe and lived briefly in Havana and Mexico City.  His longtime partnership with the Murphey Building Company began in 1927, and soon bore the fruits of his travels.  The Murpheys hoped to recast Tucson in the image of California resort destinations such as Palm Springs and Santa Barbara; the Catalina Foothills Estates, begun in 1928, was the most ambitious of these plans.  Though Joesler was adept at working in a number of Revival modes, his Spanish Revival sales office for the Murphey Building Company, built in 1930, summarizes his skills.  Its mellow brickwork, stout wooden lintels, and romantic Andalusian-inspired detailing became hallmarks of the Joesler style.