COURTHOUSE LAWMAN. Although not in uniform, this lawman is identified by a badge pinned to his vest. The bunch of keys in his hand suggest he may have been the turnkey in charge of the holding cells associated with the courtroom. The light fixture over his head provides both electricity and gas illumination. Lincoln began electric service in the late 1880s, but many homes and offices had combination fixtures for greater reliability.
Photographs taken on black and white glass negatives by African American photographer(s) John Johnson and Earl McWilliams from 1910 to 1925 in Lincoln, Nebraska. Douglas Keister has 280 5x7 glass negatives taken by these photographers. Larger scans available on request.