IV-44 (Marmot) 35383
This Berkeley, California landmark by architect Harvey Slocombe, has a history as eclectic as its design. Built in 1928 as a chapel for the adjacent undertaking firm of Hull & Durgin (“Berkeley’s Pioneer Funeral Directors--Economy Without Cheapness”), it was reportedly modeled on the photograph of a chapel in the native English village of undertaker William Hull’s mother. During the 40s and 50s, the erstwhile funeral parlor also served as the venue for over five hundred weddings. By the 70s the building had been remodeled into shops and offices, and for a time also accommodated a Buddhist temple. With its rolled eaves and strangely Balkan belfry, the building commands the instant attention of passing motorists. An especially curious feature is the dense concentration of rubble stone at the building’s base which slowly dissipates to rise almost effervescently up the front face of the tower.